On 24 November 2017 Council of Australian Governments (COAG) Energy Ministers agreed to the Decision Regulation Impact Statement for commercial refrigerated display and storage cabinets and accepted the following recommendations:
- adopt the international (ISO) test method for refrigerated display cabinets and European test methods for other refrigerated display cabinet types and storage cabinets
- increase Australasian minimum energy performance standards (MEPS) levels to align with European Commission MEPS levels.
The Equipment Energy Efficiency (E3) Program is now working with stakeholders to finalise the technical criteria and replace the Greenhouse and Energy Minimum Standards (Refrigerated Display Cabinets) Determination 2012 ahead of the introduction of new MEPS levels that are expected to become effective no earlier than 1 December 2019.
Please note that, prior to commencement of new MEPS levels, an Implementation Paper will be drafted and circulated to stakeholders for consultation. The Implementation Paper will include further detail on a number of topics including:
- approach to transitioning existing registrations
- star rating algorithm and how this will be displayed online and used by industry
- deemed to comply method
- registration system
- updates on timing and process etc.
For more information, or if you wish to keep informed, contact EECA at email@example.com.