Gas water heaters
Gas water heaters either operate by either storing water that is heated by gas, or by heating water on demand. This gas can be either liquefied petroleum gas, natural gas, or simulated natural gas.
At a Glance
Minimum Energy Performance Standards
Energy Rating Label
Greenhouse and Energy Minimum Standards (Gas Water Heaters) Determination 2017
In Australia, these products are regulated under the Greenhouse and Energy Minimum Standards Act 2012.
In New Zealand, the relevant legislation is the Energy Efficiency (Energy Using Products) Regulations 2002. Visit the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority website for more information.
What products are covered?
Products covered by this determination must be appliances that are designed to heat and supply water, at a temperature not exceeding 99 degrees Celsius, for drinking or sanitary purposes. They must be fired with natural gas, liquefied petroleum gas or simulated natural gas, and operate using natural draught, or fan assisted, combustion systems.
To be covered, products must also fall into one of the following two categories.
- Storage water heaters that have a nominal gas consumption equal to or less than 50 megajoules per hour, have a storage capacity equal to or greater than 30 litres, and are not certified only for installation indoors.
- Instantaneous water heaters that have a nominal gas consumption equal to or less than 250 megajoules per hour, and have a heat output equal or greater than 13.1 kilowatts.
Refer to section 5 of the Determination for more details.
For technical requirements regarding water heaters, including testing requirements and Minimum Energy Performance Standards, review the relevant Determination and standards.
The following standards are referenced in this Determination and are available for purchase from Standards Australia.
- AS/NZS 4552.2:2010 Gas fired water heaters for hot water supply and/or central heating—Part 2: Minimum energy performance standards for gas water heaters.
- AS/NZS 5263.0:2017 Gas Appliances—Part 0: General requirements.
- AS/NZS 5263.1.2:2016 Gas Appliances—Part 1.2: Gas fired water heaters for hot water supply and/or central heating.
Testing your product
The testing requirements for gas water heaters are the requirements relating to thermal efficiency in:
- for storage water heaters – paragraph ZC107 (Thermal Efficiency Test—Storage Water Heaters) of Appendix ZC of AS/NZS 5263.1.2:2016
- for instantaneous water heaters – paragraph ZC108 (Thermal Efficiency, Water Heating Capacity, Start-up Heat Capacity and Electrical Power Consumption Test—Instantaneous Water Heaters and Circulators) of Appendix ZC of AS/NZS 5263.1.2:2016.
There are no labelling requirements for gas water heaters under the Greenhouse and Energy Minimum Standards Act 2012.